Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Remote access server via TCP/IP

This topic is 8437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What is the best way to go about making our company database live so that computers can access, update, modify, add records and such over their dialup connection? I need to maintain full FM Functionality. We cannot use web browsers. What are my limitations and is there a way go make it accessible to more than 250 users at a time?

All advice is welcome. Need big help.

The 250 users will have someone on holiday, someone ill, someone idle and disconnected. It can be in theory around 300 machines.

Additional users can connect via browsers with only 1 unlimited occupying only 1 seat in the 250 users.

Much better than dial-up are the browsers.

Here is one way we have tested - BUT were not able to load test it:

3 FM Servers.

Server #1: has just the basic data files, no layouts or user interfaces.

Servers #2 and 3: hosts identical user interface files where the data is pulled from relationships to the data files on Server #1.

Server #1 is only accessed via servers #2 and 3. Servers #2 and 3 can each host 250 concurrent users.

Like I said, we tested this setup and it works, but we were not able to load test it by having 500 users log on at the same time.

Access via modems could be done - although fairly slow - using remote access dial-in. The more complex the layouts, the more graphics, more fields on layouts, showing more records will slow the modem connection - ultimately to the point of being unusable.

[ March 28, 2001: Message edited by: dykstrl ]

This topic is 8437 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.