Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMP 5 server & speed

This topic is 8421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I upgraded my company from Filemaker Pro 3 server toFilemaker Pro 5 server.

I upgraded also the clients. And put the server on a Mac Grey G3 boosted at 400Mhz.

I have speed problems. In the business, people say Filemaker is to slow.

I look, and when Filemaker have to calculate or show pop-up menus, it is very slow. I put the 'More CPU for filemaker' option.

Don't know really what to do. I don't think that is normal.

There is only 3 clients at the same times on the server.

Thanks.

G.A.

Do you mean G3 "beige"? What was the original speed of the machine? Was FM 3 running on this machine? Did you have speed problems with FM 3? What is your network speed?

Make sure FileMaker is the only application running on the machine. Don't share the machine with AppleShare IP, etc. Also, make sure FM is in the foreground (not the Finder). If it is this slow, you have a fundamental problem and have to give us enough details to determine what it is.

-bd

• Newbies

Yes. I mean 'beige' (gray) G3. The original speed is 233 Mhz boosted with a ZIF processor to 400Mhz.

FM 3 runned on this machine with the 233 Mhz and had more speed.

The network is on Ethernet 10BaseT. And I use TCP/IP protocol for FMP 5.

There is also 2 others server on this machine but they don't take a lot of CPU. It is Suitcase server and a Fax Server.

G. A.

Try disabling the other two servers and see if peformance improves. FMI doesn't recommend running ANY other applications on a FM Server. Were these servers running on the 233 version of the machine? What OS are you running?

The ultimate test is to completely reload the machine, installing ONLY FM 5 Server. This is one of those problem that would probably be obvious in person, but is hard to diagnose remotely.

-bd

That is theoretically possible to have greater speed with v. 3 in some cases.

Because the MacOS is not multithreading and multitasking terribly well, the increased multithreading in FM 5 server actually needs more processing time and if another apps are trying to get some cycles... who knows.

Try to run only the FM as foreground application as was suggested.

In any case, let us know the outcome.

This topic is 8421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.