Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Web Sharing

This topic is 8388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello

Could someone told me could Filemaker Server 5 share databases through the Web like Filemaker Pro do. Can I use only stand alone Filemaker Server without Filemaker Pro as a web server.

If someone know solution please describe it for me.

I have exactly the same problem. I cannot get FileMaker 5 Unlimited on our web server to set up a web connection for any files hosted on FileMaker 5 Server on a separate machine. I can easily get individual FileMaker files on the web server to be hosted, as well as FileMaker files on other machines that are NOT hosted FileMaker Server, but through Server it seems impossible to make any connection.

FileMaker Server's help index says it is possible to set up web connector, but then it says to see the documentation for FileMaker Pro 5, FM Pro 5 Developer, or FM Pro 5 Unlimited. However, none of these discuss connecting to FileMaker Pro Server. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!

I also tried using Claris Home Page to develop a web site via the connection assistant. This also works with FileMaker 5 locally (on the web server), but cannot connect to the Mac where I have the FileMaker Server hosted (it says the IP address is bad, though I do File Sharing often over TCP/IP with this FM Server).

My feeling is that FileMaker, Inc. has let this slip by. It is a serious limitation for us, and I have not yet found any workable solution.

Matt

The only web serving product is FM 5 Unlimited or FM5 Pro with the built-in limit (10IPs in 12 hours frame).

It does not matter, where are the data, on local Unlimited or served from FM server 5 to the Unlimited.

Where is the confusion?

I know it is not SUPPOSED to matter where the data is coming from (FM 5 Unlimited "Web" Folder or FM Server served by FM 5 Unlimited), but we cannot connect FM Server-based served files from FM 5 Unlimited on another machine. FileMaker documentation says it's possible, but it doesn't say how.

When I try to connect to the FM Server to open the files in Unlimited, I get a "FM Server not responding or bad IP address" message.

Matt

You say "I do File Sharing often over TCP/IP with this FM Server)".

File Sharing does not need to be on (and should be off on a Mac running FMP Server for performance), but within FMP Server you must make the selection to share files using TCP/IP.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt Norwood:

I know it is not SUPPOSED to matter where the data is coming from (FM 5 Unlimited "Web" Folder or FM Server served by FM 5 Unlimited), but we cannot connect FM Server-based served files from FM 5 Unlimited on another machine. FileMaker documentation says it's possible, but it doesn't say how.

When I try to connect to the FM Server to open the files in Unlimited, I get a "FM Server not responding or bad IP address" message.

Matt

How you are opening the files, where files are located?

Regarding the restart for Unlimited, you can create a parent FMP database that automatically opens the database hosted on the server. The theory works this way:

1. Open the parent database on machine startup.

2. The parent database has a startup script that opens the Hosted file.

3. The parent database closes itself.

These are the scripts I use:

*Pause/Resume Script["0.00.03"] ... pause for 3 seconds (For edit access)

*Open["Targetfile.FP5(*)"] ... Open the target file on the server.

*Close["ParentFile.FP5"] ... Close the parent file.

When scripting the OpenFile command, make sure that you use the HOSTS buttons to locate the server hosted file. Also make sure that you have at least a few seconds pause set first up, otherwise you'll never be able to get back into the parent file to edit it!

• Newbies

We also ran into this. I like the admin capabilities of Server, but needed to web enable the databases. Did what FileMaker suggests and used Server as the back end to Unlimited. Works fine. Only problem is, if Unlimited is restarted, there is no way to automatically reopen the databases to web enable them. That is going to be another forum topic.

This topic is 8388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.