Server Maintenance This Week. ×

CE fonts and PDF's don't mix well (OSX)

André

This topic is 5408 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, i got a nice question for you guys (gals)

i'm trying to use FileMaker 8.5 Adv to generate PDF's with Central European fonts (in this example Futura CE)

I receive the texts in Excel, and sometimes in a email, and importing them in FM is a breeze...

But the problem i got is when i generate the PDF with the FM build-in PDF engine, the special characters are either lost or replaced with anonther letter (?)

When i make the PDF's with the printdialog -> save as PDF the result is correct.

And you guessed it, i'd like FileMaker to do that too (because i want the files to be named with a calculated name)

Oddly, i don't have this problem when i use the font Lucida Grande, (pity the customer insists on Futura)

To be sure it's not the font, i made a PDF with good old Indesign 2.0, and the result was just fine.

Suggestions welcome...

Below a sample image.

fmtxt.jpg

This text was typed on the layout (static text).

Besides that i'm not sure what you mean, or where to look.

My FM is dutch, the text is Czech Republic

(i doubt i can select that language anywhere)

could you explain a bit more?

thank you :-)

the text is Czech Republic

(i doubt i can select that language anywhere)

Actually, you can - but if that text is typed on the layout I doubt if that's relevant.

Now, I don't have a Futura CE font. However, if I paste Czech text onto the layout, I can then format it to use one of the included CE fonts, or the standard OS X Futura - and it saves to PDF without a problem.

test.pdf

So my font seems to be the problem (odd), a conflict somewhere with the FM PDF engine...

I haven't used the OSX default Futura for ages (because we usually use the Futura std Opentype we bought from Adobe) Your suggestion made me search for it, and -surprise- it worked!

I just hope the that font contains all special characters too (have to test that)

Oh, i've found the language setting in the storage too, i'll set that for the data fields,

probably helps with hyphenation on the rare occasion the text is longer that one line.

Thank you for your help!

This topic is 5408 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.