Erratic performance

This topic is 8380 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have FM Server 5 running on a G4 667 Mhz machine with 512 mbs of ram. This is a dedicated machine. My problem is that we recently had our database re-vamped by a local FM consultant and every since he copied the new databases to the server we've been experiencing problems with the system performance. Specifically the Server will from time to time slow to a crawl when trying to access different files in the database. This seems to occur whenever I do anything with the server (ie: check the server log, check general system operation, check memory allocatins under Get Info etc). When this occurs, I can solve the problem by either changing the preferences within FM Server or trashing the FM Server preferences folder within the system folder and restarting. The server will then run at normal speed until the next time I do anything with it. I'm at my wits end with the problem. I have talked with FM support numerous times with no real solution. Any ideas out there.

This problem with the cpu time allocated to foreground and background applications can be solved with a shareware application called peek-a-boo. It allows you to expressly set the priority of tasks regardless of whether they are in the foreground or background. It's brought to you by Clarkwook Software, the same people who produce the excellent RAM disk program RAMBunctious. Both of these programs work extremely well in improving the performace of Mac FileMaker Server (www.clarkwoodsoftware.com). -bd

This topic is 8380 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.