Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server / Software Update help

This topic is 5389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Now,

I have a question about software updates. When I upgraded to Server 9 a couple of years ago I just happened to do a Mac OS Software update that totally screwed me up. If I remember correctly, the JAVA update made it so Server 9 couldn't even open. I ended up calling FileMaker, it was a complete mess. In the end, I had to reinstall / restore the whole server to go backwards to 'erase' that update. It really and totally screwed everything up.... since then I've been (understandably) afraid of doing normal updates.

Lately, however, I've been experiencing some unusual FMP Server crashes, anomolies, etc. The bottom line is that I think it's time that I do both a software update and server update.

Here are my specs:

FileMaker Server 9.0.3.326

PowerMac Dual 2.3 Ghz PowerPC G5

4.5 GB of Ram

Mac OSX 10.4.11

I know I am way behind in security updates, etc. But I am DEATHLY afraid of repeating the last effort to update. Any advice?

Thanks. Vandy

These specs are prefectly fine for the version of FMS you are runing. If you go to Leopard, you'll have to reinstall the FMS using the leopard comaptible Server 9.0v3 installer. If you do go to Leopard, stop at 10.5.4.

What do you think is causing the crashes, etc? Could it be hardware or memory related?

Steven

Thanks Steven for your reponse. I do not plan on going to Leopard. I have an iMac running Leopard in the office as well as my PowerMac and the Leopard system has a lot of trouble communicating with the network (port issues, email doesn't work, etc.) I have had no problems network wise with Tiger, so I'll stick with that.

Not sure what's causing crashes, all I know is that I need to do these updates....

So when it's time to go and do this, is the smart thing to do... take everyone off line of FMP Server of course, then do all the updates that Mac OSX has to offer, then do any server updates?

Is there any method I could do to ensure that I don't mess this one up?

Vandy

This topic is 5389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.