Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Time Machine for OS Backup FMServer

This topic is 5383 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We currently run FileMaker Server on a single drive on an Xserve, OS and Data. We backup our FileMaker DBs Internally Externally and Offsite.

I am thinking of changing the configuration to a single drive with the OS and a RAID0 Mirror using the other two bays. The Mirror would contain only FileMaker data.

Does anyone see anything wrong with using TimeMachine to backup the OS drive? I can't imagine it taking long or using a lot of resources since it won't be changing much.

My thought is the data will be safe because we have multiple redundant copies plus the redundancy of the mirror. Then we can easily restore the OS drive if that fails from the TimeMachine backup and won't need to reconfigure our schedules as well as the tuning done in the OS.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ryan

None of this is a good idea.

First, if you're using RAID, use RAID 10. Otherwise you'll likely encounter performance problems.

Secondly, [color:red]no third party enterprise backup programs should ever touch a FileMaker hosted file. You could use such a program to backup a copy of the FMS backup.

Let FMS make an intial backup. Copy that backup to a second destination. The enterprise backup software could tgen run on that second copy.

Steven

I obviously wasn't clear enough in my first post. I did not intend to backup live FileMaker databases, or even unhosted filemaker backups for that matter, with TimeMachine.

If all FileMaker Files were on a separate drive and Time Machine was only used for the OS why would that be a problem?

I've been concerned about the performance hit that might come from RAID 1. Now I'm thinking in this scenario, I could Mirror or use TimeMachine to backup on the OS and keep the FileMaker files on a seperate drive (we don't have the money or resources for s higher level raid right now).

The real problem has nothing to do with our FileMaker backups we backup often and follow the rules regarding the backup of live files.

We have had drive issues in the past that have caused us to rebuild the server which has taken a lot of time. If I can have some redundancy or a quick way to restore back to an OS with a working FMServer, less the DBs, it will make disaster recovery easier and quicker.

I hope this makes more sense. I know we can store the Filemaker Data where ever we want so I think it is a good idea to split it up.

Ryan

This topic is 5383 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.