hosting a Filemaker 10 file on a Filemaker 7 Server

This topic is 5334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I'm relatively new to FileMaker Pro hosting, and i have just inherited the administration of a FileMaker 7 Server, which has a mixture of Filemaker 7 - 10 file on it.

I'm wondering if someone can tell me if there will be problems hosting a FileMaker 10 file on this server? Has anyone out there had experience with this?

Cheers

I wouldnt recommend it. You may be able to get away with FMS9 and 10 clients, but if the solution was built for 10, I wouldnt do it if I were in your shoes.

Although the file format has not changed and technically most of the client side features should work as is, much was changed since version 7 on both the client and server apps, including the way some of the evaluations happen on the server.

Just my 2 cents.

I would agree with Senor Vodka. Everything that evaluates on the client side (script triggers, conditional formatting, tab controls) would work just fine but as soon as you get into things like 'ESS' and the server running scripts things get a little wonky.

It won't 'hurt' your files but you can have some unexpected results if you aren't really careful. Your users will definitely have headaches if some are on different clients as well so you might want to normalize that if you can.

This topic is 5334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.