Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server 10 on SBS 2008

This topic is 5368 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK, so it looks like I got myself in a situation. I completely missed the fact that SBS 2008 is not a supported operating system. I guess I just didn't differentiate between Server 2008 and Small Business Server 2008. I am unfortuantely one of those people who has been tasked with developing and implimenting a network and database for the company with very little experience. I have been developing the database for 6 months and am proud to say that with the help of online resources and particularly the people on this forum have been very successful. Now it has come time to put the database on a server for all to access. So we went ahead and bought an entry level server with SBS 2008 preinstalled. Only now that I have run into problems have I realised my mistake. So, am I totally HOSED? Please tell me I am not totally HOSED!!

Here is the problem I have run into.

I have installed Server 10 and the 10.02.2.206 update.

Everything on the Server side looks fine. But when I try to open remote from a client, I can see the server but none of the files.

Also, I can not access the admin console from a client using port 16000.

As a point of interest or perhaps a clue, the server has a localweb site that is accessable from http://companyweb or at least it was prior to the installation of FileMaker Server 10. It is no longer accessable.

Thank in advance for any help.

Ron

not sure about server compatibility but you might want to close the file on the server using the console then check the Sharing settings.

two places in there to look:

* Network Access to File (All users or Specify Users by Privilege Set)

* Don't Display in Open Remote dialog (checkbox)

Remove Sharepoint.

Uninstall FMS, Remove Sharepoint, and reinstall FMS.

Dont forget to reboot in between.

Edited by Guest

From a posting in another venue about similar issues with SBS:

...make sure all the appropriate ports are open for FileMaker in the Firewall settings. Also, under the network adapter, properties, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, Advanced, Options, TCP/IP filtering Properties, check-off "Enabled TCP/IP Filtering (All adapters)" and then Permit All. I believe this must be a unchecked as the default setting for the SBS configuration.

Basically, you ought not to be using SBS. Now you know some of the reasons why. Sorry.

Steven

This topic is 5368 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.