Server 5.5 and more than 125 files

MSHEV

This topic is 8162 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I know this will sound like a dumb question. But our company is currently under going a server consolidation project and we have serveral different servers running different versions of FM Server. We would like to consolidate this on to one server if possible, and well the question is..Is it possible. Can we install multiple licences of Server 5.5. on one server enabling different work groups to have there own Server software? Or is it 1 license per Machine?

Licensing is not the real issue. The real question is whether more than one copy of FileMaker Server CAN run on a single CPU, and if it can, SHOULD it?

I think the answer to the first question is "NO"; the answer to the second question is "NO."

Unless you have a Volume License, two copies of the same FileMaker Server can not run on the same subnet. The installs are protected.

HTH

Old Advance Man

• Newbies

Thank you, but if you have a volume license or are willing to buy one...can you put them on one cpu and if so...is it a really bad thing to do?

Thank you for your help, I am utterly clueless with this?

quote:

Originally posted by MSHEV:

Thank you, but if you have a volume license or are willing to buy one...can you put them on one cpu and if so...is it a really bad thing to do?

Thank you for your help, I am utterly clueless with this?

I do not think you can relaibly run more than one copy of FM Server on a single CPU, even one with multipe NIC cards and IP addresses.

Old Advance Man

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

If I have more than 125 FP5 files on my server, is there any way to put them in folders (one-level deep) so that I can choose from the all of the files?

Right now, all the files are in the root, and I can only see the first 125 files in the folder.

I need to get this solved ASAP!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Solution = 1 server per 125 file.

1...125 files = 1 server

126...250 file = 2 servers

251...375 file= 3 servers

and so on...

Really do not skimp on server licenses, they are a HUGE performance and productivity booster. You'll spend far more money and resources in fighting this than simply in buy the additional server machine and licensing.

This topic is 8162 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.