newbie questions re: sorts & multiple users

This topic is 8171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here's the short version of what we're doing here.

We are setting up FM Server 5.5 on a dedicated server. The plan is to have a new blank database reside in a seperate folder on our network for each project we start. Each project database will then be filled in gradually with all the project data. It is likely that one or more people will want to open and work in the same database at the same time.

Here's the questions:

1. Is there some way to avoid the whole "administrator" & "guest" thing that happens when two people try to open the same database file? I was under the impression that Server would

2. The database uses sorts to display only relevant records, in fact, the records are in a perpetually in a sorted state for user editing. When a second user tries to sort the data they get an error - something about the data not being available from previous sort?... I can get the exact wording if you need it.

3. Server Administrator Guide says that all databases that are being hosted shoud reside in the same directory as Server or one level down. This is not going to be feasible. I think we can use shortcuts instead, yes? Also, does this mean that every time we start a new project, I have to go and put shortcuts to the new databases in the Server folder?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chris

We have a setup that each project gets it's own set of databases approx (24). We have a Master Set of Database where we make most of our modifications and upgrades to. Then we use the developer version to rename the files from "MSTR.Menu" to "ABC.Menu" in our case the initials of the project. We do this for the entire project. Then put all the files on a G4 Cube running FMP Server Set It up to backup.

We then install a single user database on each machine that it's sole mission is to open the hosted file and quit. This is refered to as a launcher. Each user is loggin into the server version.

The plan is to have a new blank database reside in a seperate folder on our network for each project we start. Each project database will then be filled in gradually with all the project data. It is likely that one or more people will want to open and work in the same database at the same time.

While I personally do not like this kind of setup, it works.

1. Is there some way to avoid the whole "administrator" & "guest" thing that happens when two people try to open the same database file? I was under the impression that Server would

I think that you mean "Host" vs "Guest", but you did not finish the question.

2. The database uses sorts to display only relevant records, in fact, the records are in a perpetually in a sorted state for user editing. When a second user tries to sort the data they get an error - something about the data not being available from previous sort?... I can get the exact wording if you need it.

Without the wording of the message, we have no way to know what you are talking about.

3. Server Administrator Guide says that all databases that are being hosted shoud reside in the same directory as Server or one level down. This is not going to be feasible. I think we can use shortcuts instead, yes?

Aliases will work, but I caution against using them. Why is this not feasible? Where do you think that you should put the files? Something that you need to make sure of is that NONE of the users have direct access to the files.

Also, does this mean that every time we start a new project, I have to go and put shortcuts to the new databases in the Server folder?

How else do you expect FM Server to know which files to open?

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: CaptKurt ]

This topic is 8171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.