Multiple Conditions in a Portal Window

benjaminb

This topic is 8087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is it possible to add a second (or more) condition to what you see in a portal window?

Can you have information displayed in a portal that are based on two fields? The first by an invoice number and the second by a category.

In other words, I would just like to show records that have the same number and category.

I thought it could be figured out simply but it's just not coming to me. Any help (even a hint) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

• Newbies

Any ideas about how to use the values in multikey fields as a match for primary and foreign keys for "filtering" a portal?

I have defined a relationship based on a global(primary key & "CR" & foreign key) in file1 to a calc (multikey1 & "CR" & multikey2) of the multikeys in file2.

I need to see related records that have *only* both the primary and foreign keys somewhere in the c_multikey1&multikey2 field. Right now this relationship gives me records with *either* value in c_multikey1&multikey2.

Thoughts?

Much thanks for any help

jeff

• Newbies

Unfortunately this doesn't work. I think for the Primary & " " & foreign relationship to be sucessful I would need to have a field in the target file that lists all combinations of the two multikey fields to match against. ie:

1A

1B

1C

2A

2B

2C

etc.

I'm not sure of a non-scripted way to create and maintain the values in this field.

thanks for helping me think through this!

quote:

Originally posted by lindbladej:

Unfortunately this doesn't work. I think for the Primary & " " & foreign relationship to be sucessful I would need to have a field in the target file that lists all combinations of the two multikey fields to match against.

Yes, that is what you'll have to do. And it DOES work, I use this technique all the time.

What is the structure of your key fields? What are thier contents?

Knowing this I might be able to help you with the setup.

• Newbies

Wow thanks for your help!

I'm doing a staffing database that tracks part-time employees in various regions of the country able to perform specific jobs (or positions). I need to filter a portal to show who can do what in a particular region.

OK the two multikey fields I need to match against are t_Regions and t_Positions. The contents of these fields are text values with CR's betweeen each value. (check boxes with predefined value list entry) I have defined a field c_regions_Positions to be matched against. From your comments I assume this is the field that needs to have all possible combinations of Regions and Positions.

There are 15+ unique values possible for each field. I know I could do a script to loop through the Regions field for each record then for each selected region pick values from the positions field, concat then write it out to the regions_positions field. But this doesn't seem very elegant.

Do you have another idea or perhaps even a different way to think about relationships to this filter this info.

again thank you for your help.

This topic is 8087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.