Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Total Newb looking for XML import help

chequamegon

This topic is 5336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I apologize in advance for needing such easy help, but although I know FMP very well, I know nothing about XML. I've tried to learn from other posts, but I just don't get how to create the XSL that will import the attached XML file.

I would like to have the following data that would go into a single table with fields of the same name:

DateTime

JobName

ImageName

Calibration

CLSID_Wedge

Device

Filter

Light

Angle

Backing

Row

Column

L

a

b

Any help or point in the right direction would be awesome.

Job_0037_Job_Strip.zip

This is the xsl you could use for this, and the resulting FileMaker file you'd get if you used Import XML. The field names do not have to be the same as the element names in the xml, but I did them similar.

[Actually, I used PosRow, PosColumn, Lab_L, Lab_a, Lab_b, as they would sort better. "a" as a field name is just too weird for me :-]

This "flat" structure is a bit bloated, as it repeats the long Profile, etc., for every one of the "" (which is what the records are). It would be better to have a child table for the Patches, with the rest on the top data in a parent "Measurements" table. It would require a slightly different xsl for each table, as the "for each" and fields would be different.

This is not a very complex xml, but there are different "levels" (nodes) in the hierarchy. So, the learning here is how to access the nodes above, and any nested contents those nodes may have. XSL nodes are accessed similarly to files in a file structure ("../" is a node one level up, "../something/item" is one level up, then down into a "something" element's node, to get its enclosed "item" element)

JobStrip.xsl.zip

Job_Strip.fp7.zip

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.