moving from FMPro5.5 to Server 5.5 - issues?

This topic is 8156 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm moving our databases from FMPro 5.5 to Server 5.5 on the same machine -- but I want to get rid of the Pro 5.5 that's on there so I can use that license for another work station. (We're adding new staff.)

Should I install server, then delete the Pro applications files? Delete first (leaving on the databases on the machine) and then install Server? How do I begin using Server (The box hasn't come yet...) Do I just open the files I want to host, as is, or do I need to import the records into a new "Server" document?

How much different is using a file on Server than on Pro - other than additional features? In other words, can you tell me the answers to the questions I don't yet know to ask?

All this is on a first-iteration G3 running OS 8.something.

Many thanks.

RE: How much different is using a file on Server than on Pro - other than additional features? In other words, can you tell me the answers to the questions I don't yet know to ask?

There is nothing on server. It is just fast FM serving engine. You will see databases from clients only through HOST button. BTW, you can also disable file sharing on you new server. AND KEEP SERVER AS FRONTMOST APPLICATION.

Multiuser FileMaker Pro is the presumed standard. And it a world of difference from the single user environment. Even if you have been serving peer to peer you will find different behavior in many instances.

FileMaker Server 5.5 requires a minimum of OS 8.6 to run on the MAcintosh platform. And your performance will be vastly improved if you have at least 500MB of free disk space on your workstations.

I recommend you see the lengthy White Paper on Server Best Practices found on the FMI web site.

HTH

Old Advance Man

I would not be using these third party utilities. You can either use a simple AppleScript to do this. Or, to rpevent "accidential" clicking on the background, go under general controls and deselect the option for showing the desktop while in background.

Nothing else should be running on this machine either, and that includes the bouncing beach ball screen saver.

HTh

Old Advance Man

This topic is 8156 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.