Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Server will not configure

This topic is 5208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Just trying to walk this through by writing it and so I can try to figure out why the deployment assistant fails when trying to configure IIS web publishing on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have also documented some of the settings with screen shots for verification but you might need to use the slide show option to see any details:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23223739@N05/sets/72157622487402579/

------------------------------------------------

IT set up the server with the following:

Windows Server 2008 R2 running under VMWARE ESXI

I installed:

FileMaker Server Advanced: 10.0.2.206 (Single Machine Deployment)

Java 6 update 7: 1.6.0.70 (I understand there are problems with newer and older version of Java)

Bonjour: 1.0.105

IIS7:

- localhost is working

- Anonymous Authentication is enabled and all other authentication methods were never added.

- Anonymous user identity: IUSR (default setting)

- ISAPI filters and ISAPI extensions were added

- 32-bit compatibility enabled in Application Pool Defaults

- Default web page set to use Port 591

FireWall has been tried both On and OFF:

- Ports: 591, 5003, 16000, 16001, 16016 and 16018 are open under Inbound and Outbound Rules.

Install goes fine and I am able to launch the Admin Console via http://localhost:16000/

The deployment assistant launches and I select:

- Enable ODBC/JDBC

- Enable Web Publishing

- Enable XML

- Enable XSLT

- Enable Instant Web Publishing

- Enable PHP and Install supported version of PHP5

- Select Single Machine Deployment

- IIS is found but initial web server test fails

- Set Server IP Address and Port 591 and web server test passes

***At this point if I click the option to "Skip this step and configure later" the FileMaker server installs correctly and runs fine with web publishing but Web Server is not configured and PHP is OFF.

- Deployment summary comes up and I click Finish but the deployment assistant never completes the process even if I let it run for hours.

- Using the Task Manager to End "Deploying FileMaker Server 10" I get the error:

"Java Platform SE binary is not responding"

If I do not include web publishing when configuring the server with the deployment assistant then FMSA installs fine and I can access databases with FileMaker client.

If I include web publishing BUT skip the step to configure IIS then FMSA installs fine and I can access databases with FileMaker client and the Web Publishing Engine gets installed and IWP/XML/XSLT are ON in the Server Overview but Web Server is not configured and PHP is OFF.

If I try to add any web publishing components and try to configure the IIS server settings then the deployment assistant fails to complete the process.

I have removed FMSA and the FileMaker Server Folder and tried several reinstalls using different web publishing options in the deployment assistant but it never completes the deployment process. I have even downloaded the FMSA Installer again to make sure it was good

PS. I do not have any other PC's to test on so I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on my Mac using VMWare Fusion and I have the same issue with the Deployment Assistant when trying to install web publishing and configure the web server.

Not sure if it is IIS, FMSA or Java that is the problem?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Steve

It is running Standard 64-Bit

Looking at it again the full name would be:

Windows Server 2008R2 Standard

At first I thought the R2 indicated a new release with current service packs and updates but it seems that the Windows Server 2008R2 Standard version may be a based on Windows7 code and IIS7.5 and the Windows Server 2008 Standard (Not R2) was based on Vista code and IIS7.

So it may be incompatible with FMSA10.

Has anyone installed FMSA10 on Windows Server 2008R2 Standard?

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

I have been attempting to install Filemaker Server Advanced 10 on Windows Server 2008r2 on two seperate machines and get the same exact error you are experiencing, line for line.

I have also tried installing my own PHP to see if that made a difference, but no go. The next thing I am going to attempt is to un-install my network adapters, as I read some post a while back a guy wrote about having some success with that...I will re-post once I have tried.

Okay...after some digging I came across a post someone made for getting Server with Web Publishing working with Windows 7:

http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?board.id=us-fms&thread.id=2884

It also works with Windows Server 2008r2...only thing I had to do that is not mentioned in the instructions is run the Process Explorer as administrator or you wont be able to see the command lines.

Here is the gist of it:

How to:

a) Get Process Explorer (an extended version of the Task Manager)

: Launch the Admin Console and click Edit Server Deployment

c) Follow the steps. and it will start setting up the Web Server but it will "never end"

d) In Process Explorer you will find a "fmsomething" process which will have a sub-process "cmd" and it will have another sub-process "PkgMgr"

Right-click on PkgMgr and get the properties.

Copy the Command Line

Open a Terminal and paste that. It will end and return to the prompt

e) Kill the "PkgMgr" process mentioned above.

FMS will continue and finish successfully.

You'll be able to use it normally then.

This worked perfectly and I now have Server 10 running on Server 2008r2 with my own PHP installation. It's real nice.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 5208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.