Server Maintenance This Week. ×

upgrade from 8 to 10, can't open data base...help

This topic is 5296 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

upgraded from 8 to 10 on our main host machine, now it gives me the error, "'xxxxxxxx.fp7' is currently in use and cold not be opened. If the file is shared, you can use the open remote command to open the file on the network" have done all the checks, closing all other machines to make sure they are not useing the data base, but it should not matter, as i was just trying to open the data base as a user, like we have always been able to do up to now.

phone calls to filemaker have not helped, they want to shift me to the next level of help and charge us, ouch...any ideas gang?? I have not upgraded the other office machines yet and they can still access the data base. they are on v8.

Here is the basic set up. we have a windows xp pro machine that hosts the data on FMserver v8, then it has FMpro adv. v8, which i just upgraded to 10 pro adv., then the office has 4 macs, with FMpro 8 on them. thanks in advance gang.

• Newbies

thanks for the quick response, we are running xp pro sp3, don't know why they have FMS and FMpro adv on same machine, i inherited this system when i took over IT duty in the Company. my guess is that early FMpro 8 could not host more then 5 users, and we needed 6, FMpro adv 10 can host up to 9? so this may not be needed, but would like to not have to change it all around, just upgrade for now, and fix things as we go, and i learn the set up.

You should read about setting up FMS. You should not run a client version of FM on the FMS box.

Are you certain you have FMS? The limitations that you mention do not apply to FMS, but only to a file shared using peer-to-peer networking (that's no server, just FM client).

My advice is to not upgrade the clients until you upgrade FMS (if that's indeed what you have).

• Newbies

thanks again for the response. Best i can tell, it is FMS and the data base is in the FMS directory. and then it had FM pro advanced also on the machine, maybe to use as just a client. it worked fine, i upgraded the FMpro to 10, and now when i open FMpro 10, it gives me that error. all other machines can still access the data base from FMS 8. it may be screwy, but that is what i am dealing with and have to make it work for right now.

You should read about setting up FMS. You should not run a client version of FM on the FMS box.

Are you certain you have FMS? The limitations that you mention do not apply to FMS, but only to a file shared using peer-to-peer networking (that's no server, just FM client).

My advice is to not upgrade the clients until you upgrade FMS (if that's indeed what you have).

upgraded from 8 to 10 on our main host machine, now it gives me the error, "'xxxxxxxx.fp7' is currently in use and cold not be opened. If the file is shared, you can use the open remote command to open the file on the network" have done all the checks, closing all other machines to make sure they are not useing the data base, but it should not matter, as i was just trying to open the data base as a user, like we have always been able to do up to now.

If you've ever done what you claim you're doing, you risk severely damaging your database. ONLY use open remote; even if FM client is installed on the server machine. This is acceptable to do, IFF you are strictly using open remote.

This topic is 5296 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.