Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mystery Guests

This topic is 8674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Our File Maker Server 5 had been running just fine. Last week I installed the upgrade. Three times since then File Maker Server has crashed. A common symptom has been the appearance of guests which have IP addresses from our users but no user names. Sometimes there are several with the same IP address. Why?? Where are these unnamed guests coming from? Please help somebody.

• Newbies

Thanks I have done this and so far it is working OK. (1 day). I am still curious as to why? and if others have had the same problem? I will be more conservative about applying updates in future.

quote:

Originally posted by Karel:

Our File Maker Server 5 had been running just fine. Last week I installed the upgrade. Three times since then File Maker Server has crashed. A common symptom has been the appearance of guests which have IP addresses from our users but no user names. Sometimes there are several with the same IP address. Why?? Where are these unnamed guests coming from? Please help somebody.

I have run into this with Server 5 as well. Bugs in the software. Call Filemaker, Inc and report it, is about all that you can do.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.inthescene.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I installed the FM server 5 upgrade about two weeks ago, running on a Mac G3 Server fully loaded, 20 files, 20 users average. And not one crash!!!

I had crashes before, usually when I used appleshare to connect over the web to the fileserver for remote admin purposes. Most crashes were not fatal. Self restore in one hour or so.

I just wish FM would run faster!! Any one else think it's slow?

------------------

I'm noticing the same problem running FM Server 5.0v3 on a G4 AND on a RAM disk. For a while there we thought it might be the RAM disk (RamBunctious) as we installed both at the same time.

I will try downgrading. You guys, please post IF the problem is still occurring on your machines. Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Originally posted by Karel:

Our File Maker Server 5 had been running just fine. Last week I installed the upgrade. Three times since then File Maker Server has crashed. A common symptom has been the appearance of guests which have IP addresses from our users but no user names. Sometimes there are several with the same IP address. Why?? Where are these unnamed guests coming from? Please help somebody.[/QUOte

Yep, same problem here. Running Filemaker Pro 5 server on a G4 (O.S. 8.6).

Came in this morning to discover 20(!) phantom guests even before I had my first mug of coffee!! No user names or anything of sorts, just IP addresses. Had to force reboot the server and now everything seems to work OK, except for two databases. The error I get is ;" Filemaker cannot host a file because of a network error. Files marked multi-user will not be available over the network (-23015)".

I am new to filemaker and Mac's (PC background and dumped right in the middle of a Mac network;-)

Anybody have any tips??

This topic is 8674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.