Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problematic sharing over the internet

This topic is 5281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My colleague connects to our programme over the internet but complains of slow upload and intermittent dropping out.

Host: Sydney, Australia using v8.5, Mac 10.5.7 and 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Peer: Wollongong, Australia using v10, Mac 10.6 and 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Internet connection: ADSL2 (Optus) via Static IP address

Programme: consists of around 10-12 modules (files) with various interconnected relationships. File sizes vary from 10Mb to about 90Mb.

I have set up the Energy Saver settings to over 3hrs but the computer is in continual use anyway.

What other information is required to give a definitive answer?

I have some calculation fields/portals on some file layouts that take a while to display on the Host, but they are not accessed by my colleague. Would that affect the upload time anyway?

What other elements affect the upload speed?

Am I expecting too much from our antiquated Aussie broadband system?

Thank you.

Think - how much time is necessary to download 10 files each 10-90Mb? And how much to upload?

ADSL is ADSL - different upload and download speeds.

Try to use something like MPEG technique - transfer only changes.

That is really complicated - special file for Client, probably another special file for Host, complicated calculations and scripts. But results is worth.

Hello fellow latvian Peteris!

Sorry for not using proper terminology. My colleague is merely viewing and interacting with the files - not uploading them. Some pages/layouts have several calc fields and refer to several related files etc.

My colleague may add client data, change dates, print & create PDFs etc.

Is that clearer?

So I guess I am asking "how can I streamline the files to minimise the refresh time".

Does it matter what is on other layouts other than the one being viewed? Does the overall file size matter or does FM just stream what is necessary?

Thanks for any assistance.

I'm clearly understand your question :

That's why I'm writing about upload-download: you are sharing files (activities) through internet connection. And all conditions take place. You send query and that have ~ your upload speed and peer download speed, you get response and that have ~ peer upload speed and your download speed. We knew that ASDL download sped is much higher like upload speed - data communication depend from download speed. And more - if someone of you use internet for other activities speed is reduced more.

And you have choice - find internet provider who offer the same download and upload speed and as high as possible or make adoptions to the existing situation.

I will not write all this without any experience in this field.

FM have perfect networking but the rest depend form internet provider, your solution and data amount you want to hare.

This topic is 5281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.