Server Maintenance This Week. ×

remote access via internet

This topic is 5273 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

yesterday we instaaled FMS 10 on the SBS2008 server in the company. This machine has a static IP address

We uploaded the databasefiles tot the server

we configured the machines that works locally in the company and were be able to access the databases on the server

untill this point al seems to work fine.

when i got home i tried to access the databases using "open remote" i filled in the IP adres of the company' server, but was not be able to see the databases hosted on the server.

i tried serveral combinations like:

fmnet:/IPadress/filename or

fmnet:/IPaddress/ driveletter:/dirctorypath/filenmame.fp7

tried favorite hosts, local hosts, hosts via LDAP

but all attemps were unsuccesfull

Looks that i got no connection to the server at all.

Also i coundn't figure out how i can open de admin console from the PC located at my home place.

i'm really new in this, so I hope that somebody could help me out.

If you are accessing your internal LAN from an external network (the Internet) then you cannot simply specify the LAN Ip address of the hosting machine.

Why? Because the internet router at the office is designed to block external connections, unless you specify otherwise...

Set up your router to redirect external traffic to the hosting machine using PORT FORWARDING. This will provide a "bridge" between the outside world and the internal LAN. As each router uses different terms to describe port forwarding then you must first read up on your router.

Alternatively create a VPN session to get inside the office LAN, and then you can access the internal FMServer with the internal LAN IP address.

Steven what do you mean by that?

we installed filemaker server 10 on an server machine running windows 2008.(SBS 2008) (In the profile page i had to choose windows 2003 because windows 2008 as not available in the proposed choices)

Simply enough SBS 2008 is not a compatible OS for hosting FM Server. The OS offerings are clearly stated on the FileMaker website.

Do not presume that SBS 2008 is the same as SBS 2003 plus some extra bits - otherwise FMI would have listed it as suitable.

that is not what is published on the filemaker website:

in the tech specs windows2008 is mentioned

see specs: http://www.filemaker.com/nl/products/fms/tech_specs.html

yes we have the 64 bit version.

i think that i better stayed with good old access

cu

freddy

It clearly says on the site you mention:

Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP1

Standard Edition, not SBS Edition. Also, FileMaker Server 10 will run on the 64 bit edition of Server 2008 Standard Edition, but only in 32 bit mode. And even then you have to make a number of tweaks for it to work.

Steven

This topic is 5273 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.