Server Maintenance This Week. ×

filemaker very slow

This topic is 5264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i have moved an application to filemaker server yesterday,

in the company there is a smal LAN but i maintain the application from my homeoffice via the interenet;

The problem: now the application runs very very (unacceptable) slow, especially when executing a script where there are a few scriptsteps " replace field value" in i could get a coffee before it is finished

what can i do to solve this problem?

or must i accept this and reconsidering to return to a stand alone application not on filemaker server?

i wasn't be able to test if the application slows down on the machines in the company (connected via LAN) as well. if that is the case..... FMS has to go.

thanks a lot for any suggestion

freddy

As I understand - file can be remote managed from your home office with "normal speed" but remote management of the same file located on server is slow?

Normally that doesn't happen.

What about other software and hardware involved?

Addressing to Server - you say that company use small LAN. Firewalls? Antivirus?

Antivirus have generated problems for me in some cases. So I use only ClamWin antivirus on Win machines (no antivirus on Mac) if FM is shared.

Server is OK - typically problem is other points.

FMS usually speeds things up.

Check that the computer running FMS is good enough and meets the specs: fast disk drive, lots of RAM. Use the best box you can throw at it not one that's lying around.

Check the network: remove the slowest link. Minimum should be fast ethernet 100baseT.

i developed the apllication on my home pc , and on this machine it runs smoothly. and at reasonable speed (stand alone version lets say)

now we moved the application to the server of my friends company so the personnel of the company can use it (there it was designed for in the first place).

The different PC's in the company are linked by a smal LAN which is managed by a SERVER with Windows 2008 on (64 bit version). How the application runs, is behaving, in the LAN itself (slow, fast) i don 't know. i will go over there next saturday to check it.

I work at home and i 'm reponsable for the further developpement of the application, and the maintenance of it. I link to the application (on the server) by means of the internet by using the option in filemaker "open remote".

And this is what troubles me, script are executed very very slow, datatransfer a little bit better but not satisfying, short not happy at all.

other projects in the past made in windows access runs smoother

examing the execution of the scripts step by step with the scriptdebugger window, , it seems that the "replace field value" script steps slowing down the execution the most, but have no other option to do the tasks.

i couldn't figure out how to improve it, so all suggestions are very welcome

some proposed to link via VPN to the server. I will try that the next days, but that means that filemaker server is useless. euh ?

greetings

freddy

No, FMS is not useless. The network between your home and the the FMS is slow.

Normal broadband internet isn't symmetrical, dowload speed might be 256kb but the upload speeds are typically only 64kb which is dial-up.

Hence the suggestion to use a VPN or KVM remote access software.

we are running filemaker server on SBS2008. the apllication is hosted by this server, i access the database using remote access over the internet.

Sometimes it worrks veryy slow, i see an houglass for serveral minutes and even in worse cases i even see a coffeecup, but don't know where it comes from, because it is the first time i see this little icon

i have changed the scripts in the way that i replaced all (quite a few) the "replace field value " scriptsteps in a recordselection by a loop with "set field value" through the different records in the selection,

This speeds up things a little bit, but works slower than in the stand alone version that i developped before we changed over to filemaker server.

but even in the standalone version filemaker takes some times to execute the script steps.

the application in short:

the application is to calculate prices and the measurements of the different pieces of wood that makes a cupboard in a kitchen manufacturing

so the user chooses a model of a cupboard, and gives the parameters: wide , height, and depth

and makes a choice of the materials in which he wants the cupboard is made of

than filemaker does the following:

1.searches the different formulas in a database list for calculating the diffent pieces, in general for each panel the are 4 formulas :( x value, y value, number and cost

2. different prices of the basic materials

3. fills in the different user defined parameters in the formulas and with "evaluate " the formulas are calculated

4. with "costres" a "resumé field" the costs of the different assembling parts are add together what finnaly results in the total cost of that cupboard

these procedure is repeated for the different cupboards in the kitchen

and gives at last the total quotation for the whole kitchen

we are running filemaker server on SBS2008.

That is not an approved OS. But in any regard it is the OS, not FileMaker Server. What version of FileMaker Server are you running?

WAN based access is generally always going to be slower than LAN based access, although we don't know yet that networking is the issue here.

Steven

This topic is 5264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.