Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using Apple Events to open Quicktime and a file over AFP

This topic is 5277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I am a Filemaker Pro 10 user for Mac. I have created a layout, and used a calculation field to create a path to a file located remotely, from a remotely mounted AFP volume.

I created a button called "Open Movie in Quicktime Player", and set that button to "Send Event". I've set up the target application to "Quicktime Player". If I explicitly choose the file on the AFP volume, (browse to it, locate the file) Filemaker will place the string (for this record) "filemac:/1400_GB_RAID/2008-01-11 at 16_14_11.mov" into the field, and the button works.

However, I want each record to be able to create the path based on a calculation of another path, so I want to specify 'calculation' rather than 'document.'

I'm just currently testing this out with a string, rather than creating a new string out of fields, ultimately, the calculation would look something like this:

"filemac:/1400_GB_RAID/" & Batch List Converted::Name & ".mov"

However, first testing, I just want to make sure the syntax of the string is correct, so I'm just using a constant string to test.

Probably this is something boneheaded, but whatever calculation I put in, even if it's just "filemac:/1400_GB_RAID/2008-01-11 at 16_14_11.mov", when I go into browse mode and click the button, it does launch Quicktime but doesn't open the file. Maybe this is just my misunderstanding of how to put paths into the calculation.

I think the basic problem is my formula isn't being evaluated as text, pretty boneheaded but I thought I'd asked, I've already experimented a bit and can't get it to work.

Any help is appreciated.

This topic is 5277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.