Server Maintenance This Week. ×

OLE error inserting an object into a container field

This topic is 5221 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have reported this problem to Filemaker and they issued a case number are looking into it. The issue is that once we installed FM Server 10 on a Windows 2008 server using Active Directory We get the error. This wasnt an issue while this was hosted on Windows 2003 Server. Clients are running FMP 10. Once we put the host back on the Win 2003 server there was no longer the same issue. Im thinking that Win 2008 has a permissions problem that are blocking the insert object. FMP 10 running as a stand alone on the Win 2008 server running not hosting via fms 1o doesnt have an issue. This is also an issue on all files not just one in particular. FM techs are scratching their heads as well... has anyone experienced this problem? Old Advance man Please help!!!

Thanks,

Ron

• 5 weeks later...

I believe I have isolated the reason for the issue regarding an error that occurs when FMS 10 is hosted on a Windows 2008 server and a client is attempting to insert an object. The issue that I discovered is that when installing FMS 10, the installer automatically gives the FMS Server a name, which is the Computer Name of the server that it is being installed on. This is no different than it was in Win 2003 Server. However, we routinely change this server name to a custom name such as LawSoft CAD-RMS Server. I found that if I take the default name of the server given to it upon installation there is no problem and there are no errors when inserting objects. However, if I modify that name to anything other than what the default was upon installation I get an error inserting objects into container fields. I believe that since Windows Server 2008 has so many more securities than 2003, there must be some kind of policy setting that is not allowing a certain permission to complete the insertion of objects and therefore causing the client to disconnect and close. For you to replicate this I would suggest that you rename your FMS Server name, then restart the service and you should experience the same issue. Again I point this to Win 2008 Server security issue since this was never an issue in Win 2003 Server.

That is a good catch!

Can you confirm that the issue happens whenever you change the name or just when you change the name to anything that includes spaces, dashes, commas,...

Also: what kind of objects are you inserting?

I have a test Server 2008 that I can use to try and re-create the issue.

Thanks,

We did test different naming scenarios and found that it wasn't an issue with type of characters. Rather the issue is anything that changes from the name of the server that is automatically given to it during the initial installation of the FileMaker Server. The developers are aware of the issue and the resolution to it so hopefully it will be addressed in the next patch.

This topic is 5221 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.