Database online

This topic is 5271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If I want to publish a database on line, do I need to add other programmes to it or write some PHP script. I have used Dreamweaver to set up web sites but never a Filemaker database.

What I am asking is, do most hosting sites take a straight Filemaker 10 Database or do I have to enhance it. I have looked through all the books and data I have, and they all seem to assume one would know all of this.

The FMP files need to hosted on a machine running FileMaker Server. Companies like Point In Space offer such a service.

If you need something local (ie, Australia) then contact me privately.

You can use FileMaker Pro to access your files running on a remote server using FileMaker Network Sharing. No modification is needed to your database, you just have to be sure you have a user assigned to the privilege in the database's File -> Manage -> Accounts & Privileges settings.

You can, in addition, use Instant Web Publishing, PHP, Lasso and/or XML/XSLT to put a web interface onto your database. You can also use ODBC/JDBC to access your database as well. Any of these methods can be used in any combination.

If you need remote hosting services, have a look at our offerings:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

Feel free to contact me here or off-list at jmay(at)pointinspace.com if you have any additional questions.

- John

This topic is 5271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.