Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Digital Signature via windows login?

bgmcnick

This topic is 5225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm creating several forms that multiple windows users will be using and are required to digitally sign when a record is completed. What I'm looking to do for a digital signature is to capture their windows login and place it in a field when a button is pressed. Sounds simple, but I can't figure out how to get the windows login. Please help!

Welcome to FM Forums.

If the system uses External Authentication, you can use the Get(AccountName) function of FileMaker Pro to capture the Account Name of the user. You cannot, of course, capture the password. That would be a huge security issue.

Steven

• 3 weeks later...

In an ideal world yes, but if you're not using SEO then Get( AccountName ) only returns the username/password used to access the database not the user's windows username which is what the OP was asking for.

The Windows User Name will tell you who logged onto a given workstation. Anyone with access to such machine can access the databases. But to do so, a person must supply the credentials that include the Account Name. Thus, if the objective is to determine who is accessing the database, use the Account Name.

Steven

Get(AccountName) will also return the name of the externally authenticated Account as well. So if this is an all Windows environment and if there is no credentials substitution occurring, that will also return the Account name used to authenticate to the domain.

Steven

Yes, I believe I said that earlier.

But the OP did not state if he was using external authentication, if he is then yes - Get( AccountName ) is the way to go. Otherwise you're left with trying to fudge it with the window's profile path

This topic is 5225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.