Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Runtime Read/Write Problems

This topic is 5240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

I sell a runtime solution online and occasional get complaints from Windows users that the "file is not modifiable". What steps to I need to take (I'm a Mac user, not a power Windows user) to ensure that the privileges are set correctly? If I right-click the folder that I'm going to point the installer at (I'm using Advance Installer 7.3.1), and set the privileges that way am I good to go? Might there be an obvious reason why some users get this problem?

Thanks!

Regards

Simon Clement

Designer & Developer

Arawak Database Solutions

1/340 Main Street

Mornington 3931

www.arawak.com.au

Into which directory are you installing the runtime on Windows? Afaik, Vista locked down the Program Files directory, and so it would be best to install into Documents. I don't have any experience with Win7 and runtimes.

Perhaps these links will help:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/194428/

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&message.id=2972

Edited by Guest

bcooney,

back when you were helping me with my runtimes, I had issues with Vista and the Program Files folder.

We started installing everything to a unique folder on the C: drive (XP and Vista)and everything worked without any issues.

We have 3 machines running W7 and the RTs are installed to a folder on the C: drive and they seem to be working without any issues.

Jim

Edited by Guest

That makes sense. Thanks!

The installer I use gives the user the option to use the Control Panel to uninstall old versions of the runtime I wonder if I'll lose that option if I installed into the Documents folder?

Mention is made of installing into an unique folder on the C drive. Would one create this folder at the time of install? What if the folder already exists?

With the current setup I know if the user already has a copy of the Runtime it will be in a specified directory in the Programs folder and subsequent versions will be installed alongside with different Directory names.

My biggest issues with users are always regarding installation so if the Documents folder does the job then that's where I'm going to install.

In the meantime it's heading toward 82f here at the Southern end of Australia. So my really pressing question is whether to go to the beach for a swim now or hang on for more pearls of wisdom!

Thanks for the great tips on this.

Simon Clement

Designer & Developer

Arawak Database Solutions

1/340 Main Street

Mornington 3931

www.arawak.com.au

Mention is made of installing into an unique folder on the C drive. Would one create this folder at the time of install? What if the folder already exists?

We use Install Creator to create an .exe installer of our runtime, one function of the program is to create the path and directory.

We direct the program to install to a unique folder which we name in the installation creator to C:BartowK9 and all works well.

Jim

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5240 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.