Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't access over internet

This topic is 5233 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I can't access my work database from my home fmp. I enter the fmnet:/ipaddress/filename in Open Remote and get an immediate error that it could not be opened (not available etc.).

I have tried all the obvious checks:

The file is open, network sharing is on.

This computer has a static ip and is not behind a firewall.

I turned off my network filtering software.

Perhaps most telling, I even signed up for an trial account with an FMP hosting service and still couldn't access it. Called their tech support who tried it and accessed it fine.

So it seems clear it is a problem on my local machine. I am rather stumped and have spent way too many hours trying to resolve.

I am accessing the internet through a wireless router using dhcp.

Please help if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the idea. However I'm trying to set up access for multiple users so I need them to access it through FMP.

Are remote connections normally pretty relaible and stable?

Any ideas on how I could resolve?

Thanks,

Remote connections via WAN is not "recommended' but everyone does it. However I would only recommend it by using a HOSTING company that will host the files on FMP Server. The problems arise with crashing and loss of connection to server it could impose corruption to the files. Especially if you are modifying file schema.

By using a remote session like GTMPC or LMI or even VNC the only thing you are transmitting over the WAN is screen / keyboard & mouse data. If you loose connection your filemaker session is still active on the remote machine. As if you got up from your desk and walked away.

SD

If you do want to consider looking at a hosting company, please have a look at our services:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We have been providing professional grade FileMaker hosting for 11 years now. Feel free to contact me here or offlist at jmay(at)pointinspace.com with any questions you may have as well. Thanks!

- John

Thanks for the pointer. You hosting service looks good. Do you run into many problems accessing remotely through FMP? Is it pretty stable/reliable to access this way?

I can't seem to figure out why I can't access either my own (client-to-client) file or the hosted one. What could be blocking access? Any ideas?

We have tons of clients using FileMaker Remote to connect to their databases here using FileMaker Pro clients, as far away as Japan and Australia, and they all seem to have great success.

As for accessing your files - it may be that your ISP is blocking port 5003, which is needed for FileMaker Network Sharing. Note that all of our services include a 30 day trial, whereby if you cancel for any reason in the first 30 days you owe nothing, so it would be a risk-free proposition to register for an account with us and see if you can access your files from here.

- John

I checked with my ISP and they say they don't block any ports.

I tried bypassing my router thinking it could be blocking access, but that didn't help either.

Any other ideas? I am on a Mac (10.6).

Thanks much,

Brian

Try turning the firewall back on in the router and setting up a Port Forward for 5003 to your Servers Ip. This worked for me - Good LucK!

This topic is 5233 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.