Oracle -> Filemaker external DB linking

This topic is 5229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have a few questions concerning linking to Oracle external data sources in Filemaker (FM):)

1. Is ODBC the only non-FM option to link to external Oracle tables in a FM database? Is JDBC an option?

2. In our FM database, we would have different users with permissions to only see certain records in a FM or Oracle table. Is there anyway to limit the records these users would have access to in a layout in both the FM and Oracle tables AND not have to scroll through all the "no access" records?

In other words, only see the records they actually have access to?

3. Our external Oracle tables contain a lot of records. Is there any way to limit the amount of records any user would have access to either within Filemaker itself or externally, in a Oracle view, etc.?

In other words, maybe only 2 years of records?

Paul

1. ESS is done through ODBC only.

2. Any found set gets rid of the No Access records. If you need a "Show All" type of feature, you can use a Custom menu to override the show all with a find all ( * ) in the PK field.

3. You can use a view preset to only show 2 years. When you can you should push as much as you can over to the external server for processing such as sorting.

1. Thanks.

2. The problem with found sets is that users need to search within their records to find specific ones. Once you do this, you break the original found set. You can put a button on the screen to show their original found set, but that is cumbersome.

3. Thanks. Outside of limiting records, is there any processing that can take place outside of FM?

Paul

2. The problem with found sets is that users need to search within their records to find specific ones. Once you do this, you break the original found set. You can put a button on the screen to show their original found set, but that is cumbersome.

3. Thanks. Outside of limiting records, is there any processing that can take place outside of FM?

I dont know how this is germane to your issue. A found set is a found set. You dont see the No Access unless all the records are shown. As I said, you can override that behavior to find for * in your pkID. This will show all the records that your users have access to.

Like I said, sorting would be a good one.

This topic is 5229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.