Is it possible to access MySQL data being hosted on the web?

This topic is 5137 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been using Rental Hosting Server.

One of the advantages to use that server is MySQL.

Now, I would like to access that MySQL with FileMaker, and see MySQL data on my local PC.

Is there anyway to do that?

If anyone knows, please tell me.

Upgrade to 9 or 10 and you can basically view the data through FileMaker's ESS capability. Keep in mind the supported MySQL version though.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/sql.html

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to do the same thing, but have have not been able to make the connection. My website and MySQL database is shared-hosted by GoDaddy and when I called them, they said I cannot connect to this database because when this database was created, we did not check the box to allow direct access. Therefore, the GoDaddy server only allows access to this database from the same IP address that the database is hosted on. If we want direct access, we now have to recreate a new database and check this box, but the database will be much less secure.

I do not want our database to not be secure, so I need to know if there is another way I can access the data in the database from FileMaker Pro on my desktop.

Any ideas?

You should be able to setup the online database to only accept a connection from your IP address, which would limit the security issue somewhat. It is password protected too, so it should not present a major security headache - especially since the database is presumably only containing data that is available online anyway.

If you just want to read the data from the database, then you could do it via a web viewer in FileMaker as an alternative.

We have been running such a database linked up in this way for several years.

Good luck with it.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5137 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.