Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Report with multiple tables?

Brian Anderson

This topic is 5163 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Go easy on me, for I'm fairly new.

I want to create a report that lists data from several different related tables.

Currently I have a table called "Projects."

Each project has several submission types: Writer Samples, Director Samples, Acting Samples.

I have 5 tables set up:

Projects

Writers

Directors

Actors

Submissions (join table linking the Writers, Directors and Actors to the Projects table).

What I'd like to have is a report of all the projects along with a list of related submissions. The number of submissions vary.

PROJECT TITLE

Writer Submissions

Screenplay1..

Screenplay2..

Director Submissions

DirectorName1..

DirectorName2..

Actor Submissions

ActorName1..

ActorName2..

PROJECT TITLE2

Writer Submissions

Screenplay8..

Screenplay9..

Director Submissions

DirectorName8..

DirectorName9..

Actor Submissions

ActorName8..

ActorName9..

I've tried a report with portals, sliding up, and it works to a point, but I can't seem to have a portal split when it nears the end of a page, and then continue on the next page. So if I have a portal with a lot of records, it puts a page break in the middle of the page and starts the portal on the next page. Lots of wasted space. I've been reading that Portals might not be the right way.

Perhaps I have something set up wrong? Perhaps I need to structure my tables differently. I'd like to learn!

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

Well, Brian, that is quite a broad question. Every table can serve as a "report" table. Is there something more specific to your situation that might clarify your requirement?

• Newbies

haha! I had a feeling this would be a broad question. I should have been more specific.

I have about 4 related tables that I need to get into one printed report.

More details about what I was originally trying to do is here: http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/213998/

I tried creating a report with portals but I've been having some annoying formatting problems. What I've been reading online recommends creating a "Report Table," but not much explanation on what it is and how to make one. I've no idea where to start.

Thanks for responding!

I see. You really shouldn't have double-posted. You don't have multiple children. You just need to report from Submissions, using a subsummary by submission type.

All the "people" could be in one table with a type. If a person can be a writer and director, you may restructure so that you have subtype/supertype (search for Graham Method).

This topic is 5163 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.