Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help with XSL template

robeerski

This topic is 5142 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi:

I have been able to figure out some XML importing in the past with data coming from a much simpler file. This XML file has me really confused since the data for this file is broken up into sections and sub sections. I am wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to build the proper XSL file to facilitate importing this XML file.

The first section is file information and I need part of that information included on a column in each row. The second section is ownership information and again I need part of that information included in a column on each row. The last section is lot information which is further broken up into a sub section for each owner.

In my database I have an owner information table and a lot information table. In the lot information table I have a row for each owner of a lot which contains the lot in date, in weight, in dollars and projected out date as well as the owner name, and owner percent owned.

I also need to take the data from the owner section and dump it into my owner contact table. I don't know if this can be done in one step or if I need to build a 2nd XSL file for parsing the owner contact information and run 2 seperate imports on this file. For now I have only been focusing on the lot import part. Once it is done I can start working on this 2nd piece.

I have attached a sample XML export file. I have also attached my XSL file I have been messing with that I know is totally wrong but it is at least a start.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sample_Data_XML_and_XSL.zip

Although nobody had any help for me on the above topic, I was able to find a tool that allowed me accomplish everything I was trying to do.

There is a tool called Map Force that is made by Altova that has a really nice GUI and generates XSLT ver 1 code that appears to be capable of doing just about any XML conversion you may want. I was able to do all of the data conversion descrubed above and there appeared to be lots of operators and/ro functions that I did not even try to use yet. The XSLT code it generated worked great with Filemaker and I did not have to go in and hand edit the code in any way.

There was a bit of a learning curve but all in all it was fairly easy.

I reccommend Altova MapForce to anyone who is trying to convert XML Data to Filemaker standard. There is even a fully functional 30 day free trial and I lwas able to accomplish everything I needed to without needing to purchase the software, I will probably buy it though as it is very very useful in certain ways.

This topic is 5142 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.