Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't see global image from remote machine

Mif

This topic is 5146 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

- Table A is Linked to Global Graphics Table through two constant keys. (calculation = "1").

- The Global Graphics Table has global container field called "ColourLogo". Inserted into it is a picture. (store only reference to the file is unchecked)

- From a layout based on Table A the "ColourLogo" field is added.

On the server, the image shows. From remote access, the image isn't there.

Any ideas why I can't see it. (it is a tiff image. )

"Table A is Linked to Global Graphics Table through two constant keys. (calculation = "1")."

Huh? Why? You don't need a relationship to reference a global field.

"On the server, the image shows."

On the Server? Huh? You are running FM on the FMS box?

"From remote access" Again, what? From a browser, PHP, IWP, VPN Connection? Please be more specific.

Are you aware that global fields must be explicitly set in a multi-user solution?

Sorry for the ambiguity.

Connection - FileMaker Network TCP/IP

Relationship reference - Good question as to why I did it this way. Probably because this file has a sizeable number of TOG's in the relationship graph. I liked that it easier to find in the table list. Does this pose a problem?

Server - There is a dedicated Mac Mini used exclusively to host this Filemaker solution, so we call it the server. I will refer to it as the host database.

Explicitly set globals - Yes, this is what I thought I was doing. As I mentioned, the global field displays correctly from anywhere on the host file where this global field is referenced.

Is there another way to explicitly set globals? In this case, I am just trying to display company logos across the solution as efficiently as possible in a multi-user environment, including TCP/IP access.

Thanks

In a multi-user environment, you must store your logo in a container field (non global) and explicitly set gLogo to the container field. This is typically done in a script that runs on File>Open.

Again, you do not need any relationship for global fields.

Ok, thanks for the insight. Could you help with some more clarifiying questions within these steps.

1. In Graphics table, I will create a non-global container called LogoSource.

a/ How do I "store" the logo. (I'm assuming insert as picture and uncheck the "store only a reference..."

2. Create another field in Graphics table called Logo, and make it a global field.

3. From the start up script, set the "Logo" field with the "LogoSource" field.

b/ Is this just a "Set field" command or something else?

4. Then place that "Logo" field, from the graphics table, anywhere in the solution and because it is reset everytime someone opens a session, and it is a global, they will see the image.

Thanks Again

This topic is 5146 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.