Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Runtime Solution - Create Exe

This topic is 5144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

With FMP11 Advanced, how do I create serial number for installers and have trials expire? I assume trial expire would be a script. How do I create an EXE file with an installer? Do I have to buy Install Creator Pro or does anyone have any other ideas? Links, specific info, resources, would be appreciated. With 11 coming out, they said at the meeting debut something about with 11 now you can make it people cant just rename the database and copy it. I assume that is only for people using the database on FMP environment and I dont need to worry about this. But for future reference, how do you do that?

Hi Amy,

There are many posts in this forum concerning packaging runtimes and methods to have trials. You can also use the Google search on the right. Brian Dunning's Easy Encrypt is one way to have licenses for your runtime. Trial expire is something you would create, it's not built-in.

I'm not familiar enough with FM11's security improvements to comment on how they'd help with piracy (if at all).

Have a look thru this subforum.

Barbara

How do I create an EXE file with an installer? Do I have to buy Install Creator Pro or does anyone have any other ideas? Links, specific info, resources, would be appreciated.

I use the free Inno Setup to create a single EXE installer file for Windows.

Note that with FMA 11 you may want to also bundle the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) with your installer since it is a new requirement for runtimes built with version 11.

On the Macintosh I create either a standard Macintosh disk image for a drag and drop installation or a standard Macintosh Package installation file using Package Maker (free, part of the Developer tools).

[Tominator said:

I use the free Inno Setup to create a single EXE installer file for Windows.

Note that with FMA 11 you may want to also bundle the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) with your installer since it is a new requirement for runtimes built with version 11.

On the Macintosh I create either a standard Macintosh disk image for a drag and drop installation or a standard Macintosh Package installation file using Package Maker (free, part of the Developer tools).

Thanks. I didnt know about the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package requirement. Still not quite sure how to do the "create either a standard Macintosh disk image " for Mac. And thanks for the EXE resource. Was wanting Brian Dunning's solution but its not in my budget just yet. Soon. I really would like the ToMarket course but thats not in my budget yet either. I have so much to learn. ;)-)

Package Maker is part of the Mac OS X development tools. Nothing to do with FileMaker.

Mac OS X Developer tools are not installed by default: the Xcode installer is on your computer OS installation disk. Otherwise download it from the Apple web site: it's free.

Hey, does anyone know if Package Maker provides an option for a click-thru license agreement?

Yes, it does.

Using any of a handful of third-party tools you can also add a click-thru license to a Macintosh .dmg file to display when it mounts.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.