Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"The Database Server is not available" after installing Server 11

This topic is 4957 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After installing Server Advanced 11, I am getting an error message upon opening the Admin Start page that says "The Database Server is not available. To edit server deployment, please start the Database Server first." The dialogue window has two buttons, one says Restart and the other Cancel. When I click the Restart button, Windows gives me a new error that says: "Filemaker Server has stopped working".

The Filemaker Server service is running, and even after stopping and restarting the service, the same error comes up. My version of Windows is Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition (32bit) with Service Pack 2. I am using the latest version of Bonjour 1.0.6 and the latest version of Java 6 v20.

I have also rebooted the machine several times with no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The event log had generic APPCRASH events. I uninstalled FMS 11 and all Java entries and MS C++ 2005 and 2008 and did a fresh install of everything with Antivirus and firewall turned off. I let the FM installer install Java and C++ and everything went smoothly.

I reinstated the firewall and the antivirus and things are still working. Hopefully this might help someone else in the future.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I've got a VERY similar situation. And I've looked around for several hours for an explanation/recommendations to get OUT of the situation.

However, sad to report, the recommendation that worked above did NOT work for me.

After following the above-outlined steps, and ALSO uninstalling Bonjour, I received the same window described above with the "restart" button. Pushing the "restart" button results in a hesitation less than a minute in duration, then I get a new window indicating "Unable to start the database server. Please contact your system administrator for assistance."

At the time the above message was received, firewall and anti-virus software were completely off.

Ah, well... I felt it was worth a try...

Larry

• 2 months later...

I haven't resolved this problem, but I have noticed something weird, the FileMaker Server actually IS running. I can access the sample database from my laptop, but the admin console still refuses to start.

I did try copying the console to my laptop and editing the address so it connects to the server, I get the same error.

This topic is 4957 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.