Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 5060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Im thinking of using Filemaker Server under Windows 2008 Server 64 bit version.

1. Will that work? Does FMS run in 64 bit?

2. Am I then married to the IIS Server or can I use Apache?

3. What virusscanner would be good so it doesnt completely shred the databases and

4. How could I encrypt the Databases on the disk so they dont fall into the wrong hands when the disk ist stolen? (Something like Filevault on OSX?)

Thanks,

Spongebob

as you can tell from the questions, I prefer Macs. :

1) FMS is 32 bit bit I've read recently that it runs on 64 bit Windows.

2) Dunno.

3) No virus scanner. As in, do not install one. If necessary make sure the folder holding the live hosted files is set to be ignored by the virus software.

4) Any kind of disk encryption will affect performance negatively. Disk is slow enough.

1. Will that work? Does FMS run in 64 bit?

2. Am I then married to the IIS Server or can I use Apache?

3. What virusscanner would be good so it doesnt completely shred the databases and

4. How could I encrypt the Databases on the disk so they dont fall into the wrong hands when the disk ist stolen? (Something like Filevault on OSX?)

1. Servers 10 and 11 only, Windows Server OS only, and still even them FMS runs in 32 bit mode only and requires ISAPI filters. IOW, don't bother.

2. No. Windows is IIS only. Mac is Apache only. This applies to single machine deployment. if using 2 or 3 machine option, there is more flexibility.

3. [color:red]Do not use virus scanning on a FMS machine.

4. FMS doesn't support encrypted disks at this time. Good feature request idea though.

Steven

Thanks for the replies.

- What are the negative effects of running FM Server in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit machine? Will it perhaps not make use of the multiprocessors?

- Only superficially; whats an ISAPI filter?

- what does IOW mean?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

- What are the negative effects of running FM Server in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit machine? Will it perhaps not make use of the multiprocessors?

- Only superficially; whats an ISAPI filter?

Not an issue of negative effect. It's the only option you have. The filters are for web publishing.

Check the documentation that comes with FMS for a lot more detail.

Steven

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I dont have FMS 11 yet (I run FMS 9) and as far as I can see there is no mention of neither 32 vs 64 bit or ISAPI in the documentation. Nor is it mentioned in the available online documentation here:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/documentation.html

I would love to RTM, but it seems that point is mute? In which document exactly can I read up on this please?

Also, in the other thread you said its important with Win 2008 Server to apply the right patches, not all patches.

When I Asked, "Okay where do I find the list of correct SPs, not latest ones, to be applied for a Win 2008 Server situation?"

You said on the filemaker website here: http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-11-specifications.html

Unfortunately that page, as far as I can see does not however in any way list what patches should be applied and which not. All it says is Windows 2008 R2 (and thats the easy part I guess).

Could you please provide me a more precise source of which patches are recommended and which arent? A search of the website has not found them for me.

Thanks

Spongebob

Well, as said, FMS9 will eventually not work with Win Svr 2008.

FMS11 in a one machine deployment works just fine. No adjustments needed. If you want to use Apache instead of IIS, install and configure and test that before any FMS installation.

I just ran quite many tests both on the original "hard pressed" CD version without update and with all Microsoft recommended updates (as of 20. June 2010) installed. No problems. But off course, FMS runs as 32bit service.

To my knowledge there is no document from FileMaker regarding any patches.

When data is so important and confidential, do not share via HTTP! Make sure access is secured to the server room. If that still is not safe enough, you can use plug-ins to encrypt the data before storing it in the database. But be aware of the overhead. Each clients needs to share the plug-in for decryption.

Regards Volker

Hi Volker,

thanks for that. The plan is that my client wants to run the FMS 11 Server in a win 2008 Virtual Machine environment.

I do wanto use Apache with that, so internal employees can access one screen of my FM Solution.

The firewall will ensure this isnt available from outside.

Im a bit concerned for this setup because.

This rather performant 64 bit server will run MSexchange in "other" virtual machines (Im a fan of one machine, one application).

Further Im unsure if FMS11 in 32bit wont have performance downsides in a 64 bit virtual environment and finally,

Can I then run Apache on the same machine and link that into one of my FM Files (like with PHP?) Can I do all that on the FMS Server itself? (probably not recommended no?)

Thanks for your help

I am not quite sure now wether we're talking about the same thing.

1) You have one physical machine with one virtual machine; win svr 2008 R2 installed on both. From the side of the running win2008 svr on VM viewed, this is a closed, one machine installation.

Then you put another VM on the same physical machine. Make sure that the undelying hardware is performant! If you place more concurrently running virtual servers here, they conquer and fight for CPU time. MS Exchange server can be demanding!

And if the FileMaker Server in the first machine (which is in fact another piece of of software, fighting for resources on a system that is not designed for realtime processing [the underlying Win2008Svr]) gets interrupted to long, users will experience a loss of connection; just as with inappropriate VMware backups with snapshots.

2) you can install FMS that way, that custom web publishing is supported (you'll need FMSA for IWP). Just as option when installation is finished and you start the setup with the deployment assistant. FileMaker will hook up to IIS or Apache web servers, only those two are supported. It is important that the web server is up and running when you do this deployment. I therefore recommended setting this up first. Yes, you would have all services on one machine – but there is no need to have any other website but the material you need for showing your one layouts' data.

If you put the web server on another machine, which is called 2-machine-deployment of FMS, you might run into more trouble with virtual machines. (Currently I am fighting with an installation like this; seems to work with lots of Voodoo and is sure not supported by FMI).

Especially dangerous: two VMs on one hardware, sharing the load of FMS "worker" and "master".

The only real reason for the 2-machines is either sharing heavy loads on two (physical) machines or separation of functionality over long distance (crossing networks, having DMZs) with the latter being often difficult to get going.

Did I get you right?

Volker

Edited by Guest
correct typos and work on clarity

This topic is 5060 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.