Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM11/Windows 7

tomp

This topic is 4686 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I bound an FM11 solution in XP and a customer deployed it in Windows 7.

Here's the message they sent me:

[color:red]I installed the program on my Windows 7 machine and it didn't work. I did a compatibility check and it looks like it was the program for windows xp.

I probably violated developer rule #1 by not testing deployment in Windows 7, but I've had no problem with FM10 solutions bound in XP and deployed in Windows 7. This is the first deployment of an FM11 bound solution.

Is there an issue with binding FM11 solutions in XP and deploying them in Windows 7? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

They really didn't give you much to go on. What does it doesn't work mean?

Do you use an installer? Where is the runtime installed? I put runtimes in Documents, not Program Files.

Also, FMI release an update to FMA11 to include the necessary dll files for Win7. So, did you use that updated FM11?

I had already updated FM11 to include the necessary dll files.

I use an installer that has faithfully worked for 9 years through FM releases 6 to 10. The installer successfully installs runtimes from 10 onto Windows 7. The installation is placed in c:.

This is the additional information I now have on the problem:

Runtime built on XP, FM11 Advanced, 32 bit. Target computer Windows 7 Premium, 64 bit.

The error is:

"Filemaker Pro Runtime has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

They have re-downloaded and re-installed a couple of times with the same result.

I have tested the download/install on 2 other Windows 7, Premium, 32 bit machines without issue.

Is there an issue between 32 bit and 64 bit target machines?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, yes.

Sounds like this will cost me a new client.

I'll have to add a 32-bit machine as a requirement for my software.

• 8 months later...

I had already updated FM11 to include the necessary dll files.

I use an installer that has faithfully worked for 9 years through FM releases 6 to 10. The installer successfully installs runtimes from 10 onto Windows 7. The installation is placed in c:.

This is the additional information I now have on the problem:

Runtime built on XP, FM11 Advanced, 32 bit. Target computer Windows 7 Premium, 64 bit.

The error is:

"Filemaker Pro Runtime has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

They have re-downloaded and re-installed a couple of times with the same result.

I have tested the download/install on 2 other Windows 7, Premium, 32 bit machines without issue.

Is there an issue between 32 bit and 64 bit target machines?

I just did one last night and it worked fine on Windows 7.. BTW, if you install FM on a W7 box, it puts it in the x86 program files folder. They'll need to give you more info...

BTW, checked runtime on Windows 7 64bit on a Dell and Win7 32 bit on a Mac with parallels and both ran fine..

• 3 months later...

I just did one last night and it worked fine on Windows 7.. BTW, if you install FM on a W7 box, it puts it in the x86 program files folder. They'll need to give you more info...

BTW, checked runtime on Windows 7 64bit on a Dell and Win7 32 bit on a Mac with parallels and both ran fine..

I just installed a runtime created on FM10 Adv on a VISTA 32 bit machine onto a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit box and it seems to be working *except* some relative paths I had in scripts evidently... Trying to look into that right now....

Geez.... why doesn't everyone use Macs?

This topic is 4686 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.