Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Page Setup remembered in FMP 10, not FMP 11

steveald

This topic is 5066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It seems like this happens every time we upgrade to the latest major version of FM. I still have FMP 10 on my computer and I can use it to go into any database and print a layout using the same Page Setup I've been using - with the desired results. If I go into those same databases with FMP 11 try to print the same layouts, they are truncated on the right and the bottom carries over to the next page. It is then that I remember that Page Setup forgets it's setting with FMP 11 (but not FMP 10) and I have to go into Page Setup every time I start up one of the databases in FMP 11. Since this has happened before that seems to resolve itself for each version eventually, I assume it's a minor bug fix and I have to wait for the next minor update. Is that the case?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this didn't come across sounding like a complaint expecting no answer. Has no one else experienced a problem with a new version of FM not being able to remember Page Setup settings?

This has been a problem since version 8.5 for me.

Printing a report on the mac works great. Print on the PC the report gets cut off. The text is too big, because it does not recognize the page setup command in the script to reduce to 75% at all.

Please is there a way to fix this?

That's actually a separate issue (though no less real - Windows handles line spacing differently than Mac OS X, so getting the same printout to appear the same from two different OS's is very tricky. See if it isn't a difference in the space between lines that's causing the issue. If it is, set all your line spacing [Format > Line Spacing > Other] using Pixels instead of Lines.)

This issue is limited to the same databases on the same Mac using the last version of FMP 10 and the current version of FMP 11 - two different results with the only difference being the version of FMP.

Does it look any different when you do that exact same thing on a Mac? I tried it here on a Mac, and the printable image didn't change at all either - just the size of the page around it.

On the other hand, if your PC is ignoring settings in Print Setup, then perhaps you should look into updating the printer driver.

But, again, that's not what this thread is about.

Part of what the printer driver does is tell the application how to display what will be printed (if you set Print Setup to one printer that requires 1/4" margins, you will see one thing; if you set it to another printer that can print borderless, it will appear differently in Preview). Another part is what will be displayed in the Print Setup window - options the printer is capable of including paper size, orientation and scale. These all affect how it will appear in Preview.

If I change the Page Setup from 100% to 25% and change to Preview mode I don't see any difference on the PC...why is this?

Because scaling is only a common feature on postscript printers and is not supported on most others (such a PCL). It's standard on Macs because they use postscript as the display engine.

See if there is a postscript driver for the printer (if it's a laser printer there probably will be) and install that driver instead of the current one.

This topic is 5066 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.