Filemaker ODBC driver return 'error unknown'

This topic is 8335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I tried to access data from our company's FM database using

a java program (using odbc-jdbc bridge).Before that, I had already set

up the FM Data Source in Control Panel. The java program has a sql

statement 'SELECT ....' written inside it.When I ran the program,this statement is sent to the FM database to retrieve the data.My problem is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

When it doesn't, the FM ODBC driver returns error statement 'error unknown' and then my FM database crashed.Anybody know what's going on here? For your info, I'm doing this on NT platform.Thanks for any help.

Hi,

If you try to connect to a real FM application (so not a demo, like the FM guys use) then the ODBC connection (so we are not jet speaking JDBC), then this way of connection is wordless. To slow to be used in the real world ...

Example: when we use Excell, to show a few hunderd of records of our product file it can take up to 12 minutes before Excel reponds (if it ever responds). In many cases we see timeout erros etc ...

If you confront the FM guys with these facts, then the answer is: to many calc-fields, to many global-fields, to many of this, to many that ...

So, to get the ODBC-connection working smootless, you should strip your appl. to the bone, but this can't be the idea, no?

With the ODBC-JDBC bridge it's prob. even worse! Until FM changes there ODBC performance, I think you are in trouble with this solution ...

Erwin

• Newbies

Thanks for the reply.Yeah,I agree with you.It takes too long to access data

from FM database via ODBC,especially when there are summary fields present.

If only there's a way to get rid of those summary fields...

• Newbies

FileMaker(US) have acknowledged a bug with the ODBC driver whereas you don't consistantly get data returned. This is especially the case with the FMP DB being hit by two or more simultanious ODBC requests.

I now use ASP/XML(from FMP)/JavaScript as a work around. This may not suit your requirements though.

• Newbies

And they still didn't correct this in FM ver. 5.5.What a

bummer! I guess we just have to live with this.We don't have enough

money to change to Oracle or other more advance database

systems.

This topic is 8335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.