Funky Screen Issue

This topic is 4995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a runtime app with about 70 users. For the most part, it is running well.

However, an oddity has showed up with a new user. His screens are not drawing correctly at all. When he switches layouts, a ghost image of the previous layout will overlay across the active layout (see attachment).

If he minimizes and then maximizes the window it goes away but the moment he changes layouts, the same thing happens (regardless of layout or record).

I had him test a FileMaker version of the solution and it works fine. However, he doesn't own FileMaker (it was the 30-day demo) so that isn't THE solution.

I've also had him completely delete the runtime and reinstall a fresh copy. Same issue.

Different screen resolutions, same issue.

His setup: XP system, a modern Quad processor, 4gigs of ram, a Geoforce 9500 GT 1024mb video card and a Samsung hi-end 23" LCD monitor.

I'm stymied. Any suggestions appreciated.

Much thanks,

Yvonne

Screen_shot_2010-07-27_at_10.53.25_AM.jpg

We had a user with something similar (Windows User), I had to have them change their video refresh rate and the hardware acceleration until we found its Happy Place, then all was well.

Hope this may be of some help.

Jim

Edited by Guest

However, an oddity has showed up with a new user. His screens are not drawing correctly at all. When he switches layouts, a ghost image of the previous layout will overlay across the active layout (see attachment).

I had him test a FileMaker version of the solution and it works fine. However, he doesn't own FileMaker (it was the 30-day demo) so that isn't THE solution.

His setup: XP system, a modern Quad processor, 4gigs of ram, a Geoforce 9500 GT 1024mb video card and a Samsung hi-end 23" LCD monitor.

This sounds like the issue I have seen with some of my XP users and my FM10v3 runtime. There is something about "Direct Draw and Direct 3D accelerations" that is messing things up. Something outside of FileMaker (graphics driver/OS patch) was updated in late 2009 that created this issue for XP users.

I am interested that you said the problem went away when it was tested with a 30-day demo of the full FileMaker Pro. If this is a FileMaker Pro 11 demo, then maybe the problem is gone for runtimes built under FM 11.

The solution is to turn down the video acceleration (using an administrator/power user-level account).

Start Menu --> Control Panel

Double-click the Display icon. (under Appearances and Themes in Category view)

Select the Settings Tab

Push the Advanced Button

Select the Troubleshoot tab

Dial back the slider for Hardware acceleration until it says "Disable all Direct Draw and Direct 3D accelerations..."

Push the Apply button.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

I worked with user by phone today who was experiencing this graphics redraw issue on his Windows XP SP3 box.

Dialing down the graphics setting fixed it for him.

Running FileMaker 11v2 runtime instead of FileMaker 10v3 runtime also fixed it.

I am optimistic that the screen redraw glitch problem is not present in FileMaker 11.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 4995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.