Server Maintenance This Week. ×

General procedure for updating a solution?

This topic is 5018 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a newbie and looking for a head start on the normal procedure that would be followed to update a solution.

I have a single-file solution that is close to being distributed and I know there will need to be updates. How do I give them an updated file without losing any data that they've entered? Any help or ideas appreciated.

Barbara

I read through the thread that you recommended and it's a little more clear. It seems that this is all a little more complicated than it should be because Filemaker's file management capabilities (those that interact with the OS) are lacking.

For example, is there an open file dialog that you can use to select the old file? I didn't see one.

I have to admit, there is a lot to like about Filemaker, but there is also a few things that make it much less flexible than other development systems. The overriding consideration that I like about Filemaker is the speed with which you can develop a working solution.

Not sure it's right for every solution, but then, what is?

For example, is there an open file dialog that you can use to select the old file? I didn't see one.

I use a global container field (hidden on the layout) and the Insert File script step. GetAsText() on the field to get the filename they selected. It isn't a perfect UI solution, but it works without needing a plug-in.

This topic is 5018 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.