Archival Project Template

andrewjawitz

This topic is 5006 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Greetings,

I am new to Filemaker and a relative novice at digital database construction. I am working on an archival project at a small nonprofit arts organization called Spindleworks in Brunswick Maine and chose Filemaker because of it multimedia capability. Most of the items in the archives are boxes of fabric art and Scrapbooks. I couldn't really find the appropriate template out of the preset menu so I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for how to set up a custom template for a small archival database that includes photographs and other digital media as well as regular data.

If I'm in the wrong forum please point me in the right direction :P

Welcome to the Forums. (Yes, you are in the wrong forum, I'ved moved you.)

It is rare, afaik, to find a template that completely fits your needs. In fact, buying FM usually means that there is nothing off the shelf that fit your requirements and you are prepared to create your own solution. However, a search on Filemaker's website might find a FM solution that can be further customized to fit your requirements.

Storing digital media warrants a look at the 360works SuperContainer plugin.

What is your role on this project? You state that you are not a FM developer.

The examples that came with your application are not easy to convert to fit one's needs if they don't work for you right out of the box, chances are you would be better designing your solution from the ground up. If you haven't already looked at it, check out the Asset Management.fp7 in the Business folder.

There was (is) a Non Profit solution available at FileMaker Inc, but I think it is more geared to Solistation of donations?

If this was my project, I would start by making a Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERD).

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for moving the topic, I was planning to do that too.

I must be a slower typist than you, as I came back to discover that you had already posted most of what I had to say.

:P

Lee

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5006 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.