Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Windows Send Mail requires email to be sent before script continues?

ecoplunge

This topic is 4960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When sending an email from FileMaker with the Send Mail command using Outlook for Windows 7, the message is composed but FileMaker holds onto control and does not proceed until the email is sent or deleted.

My question is: Is this the normal expected behavior? On the Mac it generates the email in Mail, then the script continues leaving the composed email waiting to be sent.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is there a way to create a single email or multiple emails and leave them up for review and sending after the rest of the script has run?

• 3 weeks later...

I've come to the conclusion that when using the FileMaker Send Mail script step on Windows it calls a New Message process from Outlook. It appears that FileMaker is then responsible for completing that request before it can move on about it's business thus locking FileMaker down. That's what I gather with my limited understanding of Windows anyways.

I have found that I can get around this annoying behavior by using an Open URL script statement instead and using MAILTO. With that I can create a new message with a recipient, subject and body content and FileMaker does not get held up by the process.

It looks like you can send a file using the MAILTO url scheme, but it is not part of the standard and so is probably pretty fragile.

The comments on this article discuss it, including the required syntax.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767737(VS.85).aspx

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 4960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.