Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Privilege Set Restrictions using Extended Privileges

This topic is 4965 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I posted this to another list but am heading for a meeting and need to see if there are any solutions or options.

I have a database built using the separation model with an interface and data file.

They want to restrict users to only allow them to view records assigned to their region. So in the data file I set up a privilege set for each region and with an extended privilege that matches the region name set in the record.

So the privilege set record access is configure to allow View when:

PatternCount ( Get ( CurrentExtendedPrivileges ) ; Region ) >0

In theory this should work but seems to fail to restrict access when viewing the records through either the interface file or directly in the data file.

Testing some other restrictions like only allowing them to view records they created seem to work but I need to allow access to other records for their region created by others.

Any thoughts? Can FileMaker restrict record access based on Extended Privileges or do I need to figure out some what to restructure the database so that each region has their own table?

Steve

I posted this to another list....In theory this should work but seems to fail to restrict access when viewing the records through either the interface file or directly in the data file.

Next time, try here or Real Tech first for these type questions. :P>)

This is essentially expected and behavior in FileMaker® Pro 10 and FileMaker® Pro 11.

See thefmkb.com/7161 Tech Info for an explanation of how Extended Privileges are evaluated.

In FileMaker Pro 11 there is a new Get Function that further refines this process. See thefmkb.com/7534 Tech Info for information about the Get(AccountExtendedPrivileges) function.

Steven

This topic is 4965 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.