Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Split files

This topic is 4939 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.

I have successfully split my single database file into two and the table vs layout side works fine, but have encountered another issue and wondering how to get around it.

Value Lists. I would like some of them to sit in the application file and some in the data file. Application one's are the standard ones that should not be edited (Yes/No, etc), the the lists for the data file are the ones the user can edit - their own data.

I've not been able to find any info about how/why Filemaker stores it's Value Lists and how they can be used in te seperation model. If I have both files open and then Manage Value Lists from whichever file has the focus then I can access that list.

How do I access a Value List that is in the "other" file.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Hi Greg,

One of the options when creating a value list is to 'use value list from another file.' Have you tried that? The other file must be added into your graph (external file reference).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

Sorry about the delay in responding, and thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I can see that now. I just have to read through the rest of the material in this topic about the hurdles with the separation model.

Cheers,

Greg

Separation model is fairly easy to administer. The data file is basically ignored and relationships in that file are only necessary if you need calculations in a data table.

Value lists, OTOH, can be created in the CURRENT file by placing a table occurrence of your data file within it. Layouts, relationships, scripts and value lists can then all be created within this UI file. It acts as if the data file is IN the UI because you script going to layouts within the UI but based upon Data.

About the only time I create a value list and use values from another file is when I am creating an ad hoc file and reference the UI for a filtered value list based upon existing table occurrence groups already in the UI; it saves me creating those same relationships in a current file.

But if everything is done within the UI then life is really simple. I NEVER script going to another file to perform work - I see no need.

This topic is 4939 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.