Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opening sub-file with no login

This topic is 4938 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm splitting a file into a main file and a secondary file to store pdfs and the like in container fields.

In the Main file, I have seven accounts and 4 privilege sets.

In the Container file, I only need 2 privilege sets (User and Admin) and I'd like users to be able to access the file without being asked to log in again.

I'm not sure how to set that up. Any advice?

Thanks,

David

I don't think the number of privilege sets in the first file has any bearing on the second. So I suppose that you want to create 7 accounts and 2 privilege sets in the second file. If the login names and passwords are the same in both files the users ought to be able to go from one file to the next with 'Go to Related Records' script step without having to login again.

The more files that you have in your solution, the more tedious it can become to maintain the same login names and passwords across each file. In this situation you might want to create a scripts specifically for generating new user accounts and for changing passwords.

The more files that you have in your solution, the more tedious it can become to maintain the same login names and passwords across each file. In this situation you might want to create a scripts specifically for generating new user accounts and for changing passwords.

No,this is not the better approach. However this is a perfect use case for External Server Authentication. That requires the use of FileMaker Server of course.

Steven

Steven

this is a perfect use case for External Server Authentication

Definitely true... assuming the users are logging on via a network that is already running an authentication server. Or is it possible to have the FMServer machine do ESA as well?

More info at FM website:

Filemaker Server External Authentication

This topic is 4938 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.