multi selection control

halirob

This topic is 4860 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I'm looking for a nice way of selecting multiple items on a layout. I noticed you can't do a multi selection list in filemaker. What I have right now is a checkbox set, which seems to do what i need it to, but i wish it was a little easier to use like a multi select list (like in HTML).

Anyone have any other tips for selecting multiple items in a value list?

thanks

Not sure what you need. Selecting multiple items on a layout is not the same as selecting multi-values in a value list. Perhaps this demo of how to mark records will help:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/60306-checkbox-that-should-be-global/page__view__findpost__p__285214

Not sure what you need. Selecting multiple items on a layout is not the same as selecting multi-values in a value list. Perhaps this demo of how to mark records will help:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/60306-checkbox-that-should-be-global/page__view__findpost__p__285214

thanks, that is an interesting take. Cause I can have a script run against those records on a button click in batch and look at the selected. Where as what I had before was a checkbox set of values and having the button click work on those.

One of the keys points of the technique is that you are not modifying the records that are marked. You simply capture their primaryID in a global. Therefore, it is multi-user friendly.

One key point is that selecting multiple entries in a value list results in a field with return-delimited values. Many times, it is better to relate this record to a new child table that contains a record for each "choice." In fact, this child table is often a join table, as it contains two parent keys. For example, a join table "Enrollment" between Student and Classes which records the StudentID and the ClassID. This is much better structure long-term than a single field in Students that contains a multi-value of Class Names.

This topic is 4860 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.