A Script Step for "Click on window"?

This topic is 4844 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm tearing my hair out but I hope this will be simple. I have a layout with a filtered "DISPLAY" portal on it set up to show field data from the record selected in a nearby "SELECT" portal. Works fine.

I have a "Delete" button on the "Select" portal row that runs a privilege test and then deletes the portal row if the test passes. My problem is that when the script ends, the "Display" portal persists in displaying the data from the deleted record. I've tried having the script "Go To" the first or last portal row in the 'Select' portal, which I'd hope would trigger the Script Trigger assigned to that portal that re-sets a variable that in turn defines the filter on the "Display" portal. (A Technique I learned here). I'm using a "Refresh" Screen" script step just before ending, and checking the boxes for flushing the cache.

All I really need to do is *click on the layout* (not in any field -- click on a blank piece of real estate -- and the "Display" portal updates as I want it to.

IS there a Script Step that performs the equivalent of clicking "out of field"?

Help!

Ugh -- yeah, that's it, so obvious.

. . . but then, I'm realizing my problem might be that I have only a fuzzy sense of what exactly "Commit Records" does, and when it should / must be used. Ditto for "Refresh Window" -- I mean, I can see in Help menus what they do, but I don't have a ready sense of when I should routinely insert them. Any good pointers to material on this? Maybe too basic . . .

what exactly "Commit Records" does, and when it should / must be used.

I suggest you read the “Record Ownership” chapter in Filemaker's 'Migration Foundations and Methodologies' white paper.

Ditto for "Refresh Window"

That's more difficult. In general, I would say that if a relationship depends on the results of another relationship, then you need to clear the cached results in order to cascade the change.

Similarly with filtered portals, when the filtering value is not depending on a matchfield.

This topic is 4844 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.