Closing Related Files

This topic is 4841 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I want to close a related file using the Close File script step. When I try just simply calling it from a script I get error 13 - File in use.

Thinking that the problem might be caused a field from the related file appearing on the current layout, I made a blank layout and ran the script from there. Still no dice.

I tried creating a script in the related file that called Close File (Current File) and triggered it from the original file but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Just out of curiosity, do you have sharing turned on for the file? I wonder if FM is unable to close a hosted file via the close file script step? technically there would be 1 user connected to the file - you as the host - so maybe the file trying to close it is unable to for that reason... just a thought.

Just out of curiosity, do you have sharing turned on for the file? I wonder if FM is unable to close a hosted file via the close file script step? technically there would be 1 user connected to the file - you as the host - so maybe the file trying to close it is unable to for that reason... just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion Weetbicks but I just double checked and sharing is not on.

Well...

I'd like to say when the going gets tough I get going but this time when the going got tough, I quit.

The related file won't even close manually (it goes into a hidden state) and there are lots of connections between the two files so I'm resigned to the fact that my dream of closing the file independently has been dashed.

Oh well, it's not good to start the week in defeat but it's not good to waste time either.

The reason the file goes into a hidden state is because your other file has an external file reference to it, as far as I know you cannot actually close the referenced file entirely for this reason. If your goal is to prevent users from accessing it via the windows menu, you could set a startup script on the file so that when opened from its hidden state it closes itself.. ?

This topic is 4841 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.