Client Can't See Server

This topic is 4101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All. I have Filemaker Server 10 setup and running in our small office environment. There are 6 PCs running FMP 10 (one is advanced) and 3 more running FMP11. When I added the 3 FMP11 machines I installed the 30 day trial version while we made arangements to purchase the licensing. There were some delays in getting them so the 30 day trials ran out. When I did get the licenses I uninstalled the trials and installed the full version. 2 out of the three worked fine. The other is unable to see the database file on the server. In open remote I can see the server IP and select it but the available files side does not show the dtabase file. If I type it in it still fails to connect. I stumped as to why it worked before the reinstall but not after. Any idea?

I've had this problem from time to time. I ended up creating a control database that I placed on all employee desktops that brings them to the Menu of the solution. Very simple, and keeps them from having to access File - Open Remote.

I also chalked this up to Bonjour and/or some other related issue, it has come and gone for me multiple times in the past few versions of Filemaker.

I have tried reinstalling with no change.

I use a login database file to automatically open the database on the server. But on that PC it doesn't work. Then I try open remote and can see the ip of the FileMaker server but the database is not listed. Nor can I type it in.

If it's a Bonjour issue what other things can I try?

I have tried reinstalling with no change.

I use a login database file to automatically open the database on the server. But on that PC it doesn't work. Then I try open remote and can see the ip of the FileMaker server but the database is not listed. Nor can I type it in.

If it's a Bonjour issue what other things can I try?

When you say your trying open remote, and can see the IP of the Filemaker server but not the databases...is this a Favorite Host or from the Local Hosts? If it's a Favorite Host, make sure its not selected to display only what is listed in the Return Separated List which is maybe "blank"?

Could also try reinstalling Bonjour after making sure its uninstalled. I would use the version that is packaged with the install of the Pro version your using. If you did that when you mentioned reinstalling, disregard.

I found the answer. It is a mysterious issue where the server.pem file does not install. I copied it from another install and dropped it on the new one (where I could see that it was indeed missing) and it worked.

More details on this post:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/7e0932bd3f

Thanks

Ron

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

Ron, Thank you very much!!! I bought a new Windows 7 Pro PC and had this same trouble and couldn't figure it out and in desperation reformatted my pc clean and still had the same problem. Then I found this thread, thank God. I have wasted an incredible amount of time on this stupid problem. Very, very, frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 4101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.