Script to insert a file that is stored as a reference in another container

This topic is 4830 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Banging my head on this one. Here is what I got going: I've set up a document management database for all of our service documents (close to 5000+), most are in pdf format. I have a container for the file, stored as a reference (so the end user can double click to open), and also have a global container to temporarily store the the same file without reference.

Between FM scripts, applescripts, and automator I now trigger the script to insert into container 1 as a reference and that triggers an insert script to the global container which then exports it to a watch folder were automator extracts text, saves as a text file in another folder, then text edit opens and copies all the text, returns to the current record and pastes it into a text field. All that and it works surprisingly well as I have processed over 100 documents so far.

My question is: at the moment I have two dialogs that open, the first to select the file to be stored as a reference, immediately followed by another to insert the document into the global container for later export. I haven't found a way yet to create a script in FM that will refer the insert file step into the global container to the file that is stored in the reference container. Is it possible?

As I am typing I am thinking maybe an applescript to refer to the current record::container1 to return the filepath and then using applescript to insert the file into the global container???

Any help would be appreciated greatly

This topic is 4830 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.