Change value list depending on selection of other value list?

This topic is 4804 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all,

I'm setting up a database for a department with many groups, and most use FMP 7, so any solution I come up with has to work with 7.

There are two more problems I could use a hand with, so please bear with me:

1) When searching through the database the user should be able to select if he wants to search the whole database, or just the entries from his group. How would I do that best?

2) When entering location data for equipment the user sets the group name in one popup box - and then he should only see the locations accessible to his group. How would I change the value list depending on what another value list has selected?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Markus

1. You cannot really search "the whole database." You can Find in a table and any tables that are related to it. Please let us know your tables and how they are related.

For example, if you have a table for Equipment, one of the fields could be Group. To find all "widgets" that are assigned to "Group1" you'd specify both criteria in a Find request.

2. This is called a conditional value list. Search the forum for this term.

hth,

Barbara

I'm setting up a database for a department with many groups, and most use FMP 7, so any solution I come up with has to work with 7.

That's a fail right there.

FMP 7 is almost 10 years old now (give or take a couple of years). It is not compatible with current operating systems like OS X Snow/Leopard or Windows Vista/7. It is no longer supported. It had many bugs that have been fixed in later versions.

This topic is 4804 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.